Issue : After installing Ubuntu 9.10 wireless and wired networking are either working sporadicly or not at all. The most vanilla solution you will find.
Target : Acer Aspire 3690-2159
Hardware : Broadcom 4318 Wireless Adapter
Ensure your wireless switch is turned on in the front before reading step 1.
1. Install Ubuntu 9.10
2. Plug in active internet connection the Wired ethernet
3. Run update-manager
4. Restart after Kernel update
5. Now with internet still plugged in, goto System>Administration>Hardware Drivers
6. Select the Broadcom B43 wireless drive and click activate.
7. Type in your administrator password